06 ตุลาคม, 2552

Past tenses

Past tense:

Simple past
The simple past tense is used to talk about actions that happened at a specific time in the past.

You state when it happened using a time adverb.
You form the simple past of a verb by adding -ed onto the end of a
regular verb but, irregular verb forms have to be learned.
To beStatements+ To beStatements- Questions ?
I was. I wasn't. Was I?
He was. He wasn't. Was he?
She was. She wasn't. Was she?
It was. It wasn't. Was it?
You were. You weren't. Were you?

We were. We weren't. Were we?
They were. They weren't. Were they?

Regular Verb (to work) Statements+ Regular Verb (to work) Statements- Questions
Short answer + Short answer-
I worked. I didn't work. Did I work?
Yes, I did. No, I didn't.
He worked. He didn't work. Did he work?
Yes, he did. No, he didn't.

She worked. She didn't work. Did she work?
Yes, she did. No, she didn't.
It worked. It didn't work. Did it work?
Yes, it did. No, it didn't.

Simple Past Timeline
For example:
"Last year I took my exams."
"I got married in 1992."
It can be used to describe events that happened over a period of time in the past but not now.
For example:
"I lived in South Africa for two years."
The simple past tense is also used to talk about habitual or repeated actions that took place in the past.
For example:
"When I was a child we always went to the seaside on bank holidays."

The Past Prfect Tense

The past perfect simple tense is used to go further back in time when we are already talking about the past. It can make it clear that something had already happened at the time we are talking about.
Past Perfect Simple Timeline
We form the past perfect simple by using the auxilliary verb had and the -ed form of the regular verb (the past participle)
irregular verb forms have to be learned:
Statements+ Statements- Questions
Short answer + Short answer-
I'd worked ... I hadn't worked ... Had I worked ...?
Yes, I had. No, I hadn't.
He'd worked ... He hadn't worked ... Had he worked ...?
Yes, he had. No, he hadn't.

She'd worked ... She hadn't worked ... Had she worked ...?
Yes, she had. No, she hadn't.

For example:
"I had already done the shopping by the time she came home."
"I was late for work, by the time I arrived the client had already left."
The past perfect simple can be used to show how often something happened in the past.

For example:
I'd visited the city many times before.
It can also be used to express unfulfilled wishes or dreams. Sometimes called the
Third Conditional.

For example:
"If I had won the lottery I would have bought a new car." Note: If I had done something I would have done something else.


แหล่งข้อมูล : http://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/tensesimpast.htm

นางสาวทัศนีย์ ชำนาญจุ้ย
รหัสนักศึกษา 52050869
คณะวิทยาศาสตร์ สาขาเคมีทรัพยากรสิ่งแวดล้อม

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น